AURYXIA is for adults who have iron deficiency anemia, as well as CKD, and are NOT on dialysis. AURYXIA is a prescription medicine that can increase hemoglobin levels and increase iron levels in the body. Learn more about how AURYXIA works.
Frequently Asked Questions
AURYXIA contains iron. Keep it away from children to prevent an accidental ingestion of iron and potentially fatal poisoning. Call a poison control center or your healthcare provider if a child swallows AURYXIA.
AURYXIA can increase iron levels in your blood. Iron absorbed from AURYXIA may also increase iron in your body. Your healthcare provider will monitor your iron levels. If you are receiving intravenous (IV) iron, your IV iron dose may be adjusted or discontinued. Learn more about taking AURYXIA.
The most common side effects of AURYXIA, for use in the treatment of iron deficiency anemia in adult patients with CKD not on dialysis, include:
- Dark stools*
- Abdominal pain
- High levels of potassium in the blood (hyperkalemia)
*Note that dark stools are considered normal with oral medications containing iron.
For more information, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Tell your healthcare provider if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
Call your healthcare provider for medical advice about side effects.
You may report suspected side effects to Akebia Therapeutics, Inc. at 1-844-445-3799 or FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
To keep you healthy, your kidneys are responsible for important functions, such as balancing fluids, regulating blood pressure, producing certain hormones, and removing waste products from the blood.
CKD is defined as a gradual loss of kidney function, which is measured by your estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR).
Common in patients with CKD, anemia is a condition that occurs when there are not enough healthy red blood cells to carry the oxygen your body needs. Learn more about living with iron deficiency anemia.
Once swallowed, the iron in AURYXIA changes form so it can be absorbed by the gut in the same way your body absorbs iron from food.
The iron is then transported through the gut and into the blood.
Once in the blood, the iron changes back to its original form so it can be combined with hemoglobin, the part of red blood cells that helps carry oxygen. Learn more about how AURYXIA works.
Do not take AURYXIA if you have been diagnosed with an iron overload syndrome, such as hemochromatosis.
Learn more about how AURYXIA works.
AURYXIA may not be right for you. Before starting AURYXIA, tell your healthcare provider if you:
- Have any other medical conditions
- Are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, are breastfeeding, or plan to breastfeed
Tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including:
- The antibiotics doxycycline or ciprofloxacin
- Prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them and show it to your healthcare provider and pharmacist when you get a new medicine. Learn more about talking with your doctor.
- Tell your healthcare provider if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away
- Call your healthcare provider for medical advice about side effects
You may report side effects to Akebia Therapeutics, Inc. at 1-844-445-3799 or FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch
- Let your healthcare provider know if you start a new medication. It may affect your AURYXIA treatment
Learn more about talking with your doctor.
- Take AURYXIA exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider
- Take AURYXIA with meals and adhere to any diet prescribed by your healthcare provider
- Your healthcare provider will tell you how much AURYXIA to take and may change your dose if necessary
- AURYXIA should only be swallowed, not chewed or crushed, because it may cause discoloration of your mouth and teeth
- If you are taking the antibiotics doxycycline or ciprofloxacin, you will need to take it separately from AURYXIA. Take doxycycline at least 1 hour before AURYXIA. Take ciprofloxacin at least 2 hours before or after AURYXIA
- Keep AURYXIA out of the reach of children
- Store AURYXIA between 68° to 77°F (20° to 25°C)
- Keep AURYXIA tablets dry